The ruins of Carew Castle stand on the low banks of the river Carew, near Pembroke. Gerald of Windsor erected a Norman motte and bailey castle here about 1100, building on a earlier Iron Age fort. The present castle is based on a 13th century structure begun by Sir Nicholas de Carew. There are three towers and the chapel that survive from Carew's time, but more obvious are the early Tudor additions of Sir Rhys ap Thomas, including the gatehouse. It was Thomas who held the last great Welsh tournament of arms here in 1507. More extensive still is the later Tudor remodeling of Sir John Parrot, who may have been an illegitimate son of Henry VIII. Parrot added a north range and the beautiful Tudor windows which are Carew's most notable feature.